RED Weather Warning - School Closed - Distance Learning Tomorrow.
The Met Office has now issued a RED weather warning for parts of the Caerphilly County Borough on Friday 18th February. A RED weather warning is rare and indicates a risk to life and significant disruption.
Storm Eunice may cause significant disruption due to extremely strong winds. The Met Office currently advises:
- Flying debris resulting in danger to life
- Damage to buildings and homes, with roofs blown off and power lines brought down
- Uprooted trees are likely
- Roads, bridges and railway lines closed, with delays and cancellations to bus, train, ferry services and flights
- Power cuts affecting other services, such as mobile phone coverage
- Large waves and beach material being thrown onto coastal roads, sea fronts and homes, including flooding of some coastal properties
The Council, as Local Education Authority, has advised all schools in the area to switch to remote learning arrangements tomorrow (Friday 18th February) in order to keep students and staff safe.
We appreciate that this may cause some inconvenience, but the safety and wellbeing of the whole school community is paramount.
This decision has not been taken lightly, but red weather warnings are rare so we must respond accordingly.
Thank you for your co-operation and understanding in this matter.
Headteacher / Pennaeth: Mrs H Harding BA (Hons), NPQH
Chair of Governors: Mr J. Grashoff
LEWIS GIRLS’ COMPREHENSIVE SCHOOL / YSGOL GYFUN I FERCHED
Oakfield Street, Ystrad Mynach, Hengoed, CF82 7WW
Tel/Ffôn: 01443 813168/813530 Email/Ebost: firstname.lastname@example.org